My first experience went thusly:
- Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync > Google > follow the wizard
- Add username and password
- phone says "Hang on, communicating with google servers. This may take up to 5 minutes"
- phone says "Can not establish a reliable data connection to the server...." and then quits.
- Android 2.1 and god knows which other versions are somewhat broken as far as their multiple account mail capability is concerned.
- Use the included Youtube app to log in (use your google apps or google credentials). Don't worry if authentication fails.
- Now go to Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync and you'll find that the account you attempted to use with the Youtube app has been added.
- Simply enable syncing and you are good to go.
Maybe it is all HTC's fault. However, it says "with Google" in big bold letters on my Hero so Google definitely is proud of what they are putting out, warts and all. At the end, all software companies must likely choose to triage and decide to release with em bugs. Thank god (and intrepid experimenters) for workarounds.