Saturday, November 6, 2010

Proper disposing of gas filled struts

I don't imagine this to be a problem occupying may minds :-). However, I recently replaced two aging gas struts which were failing to keep the weight of my engine hatch up. My plan, prior to the replacement was to dispose of the old ones at the S.M.A.R.T station where I go once in a while to dispose off scrap metal, used batteries, CFL bulbs etc (BestBuy also takes used bateries and CFL bulbs for disposal).




The warnings on the struts gave me pause though: It said Contents under pressure. Do not puncture, take apart, or apply heat. Since I assumed that the scrap metal handling will involve some sort of compacting and subsequent melting, I started seeing visions of exploding jagged scrap metal pieces! suitably scary thought.

Started researching about how one goes about properly disposing these things. finally found a good article (pdf) with nice pictures :-). Please note that the drilling is on the body of the shock and the other part with the dashed rod in the middle doesn't always look like that; sometimes the rod is exposed without any cover. The document indicates that my struts are of the high-pressure kind, so I know which instructions to follow. It does seem to require two things that once again, not many people I know have lying around:
  1. A vice (which by definition has to be mounted on a string stable surface)
  2. A drill with a 1/8inch or 2/3mm drill bit capable of drilling steel
Being a magpie when it comes to tools, I do have those lying around (one in storage and the a brand new Makita cordless drill and impact driver at home). I am not sure about the metal drill bit, however, drilling and breaking stuff is always fun ;-) and I am willing to buy a special drill bit just for this little project. If home depot caries it and it breaks while doing what it promises to, I can always get it replaced by them, so no worries there. I am also going to replace a leaking, much larger shock/damper on my car so I do need the practice on the smaller fellas I think.

I think I'll wait till I swap my suspension out to combine labor/HomeDepot/StorageTrip cost :-).

1 comment:

  1. I don't imagine this to be a problem occupying may minds :-). However, I recently replaced two aging gas struts which were failing to keep the ... gasstruts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete